Frequently Asked Questions (faqs)
1. What are Dartford Motors Opening Hours?
Monday – Saturday 8:00am – 6:00pm
Monday (Open 7:00am – 8:00am for vehicle returns only)
2. What's included in the online price.
- Fully Comprehensive insurance
- Unlimited Mileage
- 24-hour breakdown cover
Drivers aged 21-24 and CDW are not included in online prices.
3. Weekend rates and times. What time span does a weekend cover?
4. Do you offer long-term hire or contract hire rates?
5. Is Vehicle and Personal Insurance included?
All vehicles hired are comprehensively insured with an excess of £600 and a deposit of £600. This can be reduced to £100 by purchasing a CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) with a deposit of £100.
6. Do I get a discount if I use my Company’s Own Insurance (COI)?
Companies can arrange their own vehicle rental insurance, or use a pre-existing policy. (But this does not apply to individuals who must be insured under our policy).
You’ll need to advise us in advance if you want to use COI when renting from us. And you’ll need to bring along full details of the insurance cover and a copy of the certificate when you come to pick up the vehicle.
7. What do I need to bring when collecting the vehicle?
A full valid British licence held for at least 1 year . The Licence can be the previous type paper version or photo-card version.
You will need to follow the instructions from the DVLA in order to share your driver record information with Dartford Motors. You can do this no more than 21 DAYS before you come to collect your vehicle.
Once you have generated a CHECK CODE you can either print out the information about your Drivers Record or bring the CHECK CODE with you for us to verify the information.
- A valid European Community Licence.
- An International readable, unexpired licence from their country of origin. If the licence is not in English, an International Driving Permit must also be produced.
Apart from your driving licence, we require 2 means of identification in the name of the main person hiring the vehicle.
These can be any of the following:
- Bank, Building Society or Utility Statement no more than 3 months old. (A paper copy or email sent to your mobile phone)
International hirers must produce a passport and valid credit card in the name of the main hirer. We will also require details of your accommodation whilst in the UK.
Additional drivers do not have to be present, but we need to see their driving licence and they will need to provide us with a check code for us to access their drivers record. There is an additional cost for an additional driver. An additional driver insurance form must be completed. (Does not apply to companies using their own insurance).
PREVIOUS HIRERS (within the last 4 years):
If we have your details on our database we will only require your driving licence and driving licence record (see above).
New Hirers: All UK residents must produce a recent utility bill or bank / credit card statement / or passport in the name of the main hirer. We require 2 means of identification apart from the licence. International hirers must produce a passport and valid credit card in the name of the main hirer. We will also require details of your accommodation whilst in the UK.
We require a letterhead plus one other means of identification, either from the company or the driver. Companies using their own insurance must provide an insurance certificate. If you are not sure of identification requirements please contact us prior to your hiring date.
8. Using Dartford Motors Insurance, what are the driving license requirements?
Driving Experience/Age Restrictions: Drivers must be aged 21 to 75 years of age and have held a full driving license for at least one year. For Drivers between 21 and 24 years of age, an additional daily charge will apply.
9. What are Dartford Motors’ payment terms?
Once you have booked a vehicle with us, we will contact you by telephone to arrange payment of a reservation deposit which can be made only by credit or debit card. Payment for the rental is made when you collect the vehicle.
• All major credit cards (except Diners Club).
• Debit cards
• Cheques subject to authorisation by Transax cheque guarantee service.
• Third party payments: arranged prior to rental period and subject to our authorisation.We require a deposit to reserve vehicles, and will contact you by telephone to make this payment.
10. Can I amend or cancel my booking?
Yes, you can do this over the phone:
Cancellations/amendments must be made 24 hours prior to the commencement of your rental, or a cancellation charge of 1 day’s rental will be incurred.
For vehicles with 8 seats or more, this deadline is 72 hours prior to your rental, and the charge incurred after it is £100.
11. Can I pay using a company account?
You can set up an account, or a Pay On Return (POR) facility subject to credit card checks. Simply complete an account application form, available for download here.
12. What is Dartford Motors’ fuel policy?
All vehicles are supplied with a full tank of fuel. The vehicle will need to be refueled on return at our garage. Standard pump retail rates apply.
13. Can I take the vehicle abroad?
Arrangements can be made to take any of our vehicles abroad, subject to additional charges, correct documents being supplied and roadside assistance cover. (Travel to Northern Ireland and Eire is classed as Continental Hire). Hirers must:
- Make themselves aware of all traffic laws relating to the countries visited, including congestion and parking charges. These can be found on the AA & RAC websites.
- Not drive in snow and ice in Germany or Austria without snow chains or “winter tyres”.
- Take total responsibility for the payment of any extension of the rental period, planned or otherwise.
We will Supply:
- 1 x Warning Triangle
- 1 x Bulb Kit
- 1 x Tabard
Information about requirements for driving in specific European countries can be found on the AA or RAC websites.
14. What additional Services does Dartford Motors offer?
- For additional drivers, there is an additional daily charge
- Trolley hire
- Sack truck hire £6
- Tow bars/hitches available (notice required)
- Roof racks available
- Full breakdown cover provided for all hired vehicles
15. What should I do in the event of an accident?
16. What happens about the Congestion charge? Am I responsible to pay it?
- Hirers are responsible for all charges. Dartford Motors will charge a fee for any administration undertaken related to hirers’ failure to pay charges in addition to the charge itself. This applies to any other charge schemes in operation.
- Any of Dartford Motors rental vehicles travelling into, out of or within the CCZ marked area between 07:00 – 18:00 Monday to Friday is chargeable at £11.50 per day. You can pay online here>>
- The Congestion Charge may be paid in advance or up to midnight on the day of travel. If it is not paid before midnight you will be charged a hefty Penalty Charge. Full details are available on the Congestion Charge website.
17. Can I read Dartford Motors’ Rental Agreement/Terms & Conditions online?
08:00am - 5:30pm
|Tuesday||08:00am - 5:30pm|
|Wednesday||08:00am - 5:30pm|
|Thursday||08:00am - 5:30pm|
|Friday||08:00am - 5:30pm|
|Saturday||08:00am - 5:30pm|
How to contact us:
Self Drive Vehicle Hire:
157 Heath Lane, (Upper), Dartford, Kent, DA1 2TW Tel: 01322 223112